Enerdel Commtool can't find the PCAN_USB.dll

This forum covers third party software that is for example developed with our APIs
thinkcity

Enerdel Commtool can't find the PCAN_USB.dll

Post by thinkcity » Mon 30. Dec 2019, 01:44

I'm attempting to connect an old Think City EV Enerdel battery to the Enerdel CommTool app on a Windows 10 1903 64 bit system. The recommended CAN adapter is the Peak 002022 CAN to USB bridge. I've now been able to show that the PCAN-View tool can trace the CAN traffic on the Think City CAN bus, but the Enerdel tool fails to connect to the Peak CAN to USB device. The red LED comes on steady when the CAN to USB device is connected to the PC, but it never flashes when the Enerdel Commtool is started and when the app tries to access the CAN to USB device, it gives errors as shown in the attachement "enerdel_commtool_error_during_Peak_CAN_USB_access". The error repeats every time the app tries to communicate with the device.

The directory where the app installed includes a copy of the CAN_USB.dll file and the registry key for the CommTool app points to this version of the dll as shown in the attachment "enerdel_commtool_registry_pcan_usb_dll".

The app creation date is April 25, 2011 and the dll creation date is December 18, 2009. The app requires a version of .net Framework. My system has versions 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 installed. During the app installation process, the installer said it would check for the appropriate version of .net framework and install it if necessary. The installer didn't appear to find issue with the versions I had installed already.

I've also run the Peak dll installer PeakPemDrv.exe besides copying the PCAN_USB.dll version 1.54.0.0 (the one from the app directory) to both the C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64 directories.

I also tried the Windows compatibility tool to find out if I should run the app as if it was launching in an earlier version of Windows. The compatibility tool tried to set up for Windows 7, but the app still didn't find the CAN to USB device correctly and gave the same dll errors.

I'm out of ideas at this point. What am I missing?
(picture resized to 75% by Forum Admin)
Attachments
2.JPG
2.JPG (98.38 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (209.1 KiB) Viewed 1256 times

U.Wilhelm
Sales & Support
Sales & Support

Re: Enerdel Commtool can't find the PCAN_USB.dll

Post by U.Wilhelm » Mon 30. Dec 2019, 13:41

please delete all pcan_usb.dll files that you found on your PC first - really ALL
download the PCAN-Light Package from here: PCAN-Ligh latest Version.
Now follow this rule / read this threads: Link1 and Link2

On a 64Bit OS please copy:
32bit DLLs > Windows\syswow64
64bit DLLs > Windows\system32

Yes it is true - the 32 Bit DLL need to be placed in the syswow64 Directory. (not our rules - ask MS)
This should solve your probblem - if not we need to get a copy of the Tool to check in our office what´s the problem.(we do not know or own this Software "Enerdel CommTool")
--------------------------------
PEAK-System Technik
Technical Support Team
support@peak-system.com
-------------------------------

thinkcity

Post by thinkcity » Sun 5. Jan 2020, 20:53

Great! there were actually 2 problems.

The first was the location and age of the dll. I followed your instructions first deleting every copy of pcan_usb.dll on the system.

The second problem was the app itself, which creates a shortcut during the installation process. When I tried to start the app from the shortcut, it tried to run the installation process again. It must have noticed that I deleted the ancient version of pcan_usb.dll from the installation directory. I didn't allow it to proceed and instead started the app directly from the install directory by double clicking the CommTool.exe file. At this point, the Peak USB to CAN bridge device led started blinking and no more dll complaints from the app. I was then able to connect to the CAN interface in my car and trace CAN traffic with the app.

I was also able to fix the shortcut eventually so that it doesn't try to launch the installer by creating a new shortcut for the app and then replacing the old with the new and renaming it so that it shows up in the installed programs menu.

thanks for your help!

U.Wilhelm
Sales & Support
Sales & Support

Post by U.Wilhelm » Mon 6. Jan 2020, 08:21

thanks for the feedback!
--------------------------------
PEAK-System Technik
Technical Support Team
support@peak-system.com
-------------------------------