Start two instances with one PEAKUSB Dongle

This forum covers issues concerning multiple software products.
JR1234

Start two instances with one PEAKUSB Dongle

Post by JR1234 » Mon 3. Aug 2020, 08:36

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know wether it's possible to use at least one PEAK USB CAN Dongle (1-Channel) for accessing the CAN-Bus with two instances (two different applications).
I saw something similar at another competitor, and I need this function in my setup.

Please let me know, how to procees.

BR

M.Heidemann
Sales & Support
Sales & Support

Re: Start two instances with one PEAKUSB Dongle

Post by M.Heidemann » Mon 3. Aug 2020, 10:11

Hello,

This is possible with our Software such as PCAN-View or PCAN-Explorer 6, you can hook up multiple applications to the same hardware channel. Note: You cannot change the bitrate of a already initialized channel, so additional connections will use the same bitrate.

PCAN-Developer 4 supports this feature as well,in case you need to implement your own software.

More information can be found on the product page for the PCAN-Developer package:

https://www.peak-system.com/PCAN-Develo ... .html?&L=1

Note: The PCANBasic API does not support this.

For further questions feel free to contact us again.

Best Regards

Marvin

JR1234

Post by JR1234 » Mon 3. Aug 2020, 10:55

Dear Marvin,

thanks for your fast reply.

I want to create two customized applications which shall use an existing CAN-Bus connection (same Baudrate etc. using NetConfig).
So this setup is only possible by using PCAN-Developer 4?
There are no other possibilites (e.g. each Computer which uses these two application also have a PCAN Explorer 5 installed)

BR,
Julian

M.Heidemann
Sales & Support
Sales & Support

Post by M.Heidemann » Mon 3. Aug 2020, 14:46

Hello Julian,

Even though you can connect our PCAN-Software to a hardware-channel that was initialized with PCANBasic, it will not work the other way around.

Also PCANBasic applications cannot use connections used by another PCANBasic application.

Another possibility perhaps:

If the complexity of the application does not exceed the scope of what can be done with VBS-macros in PCAN-Explorer 5 then you could potentially use PE5 for your application.

Bear in mind that VBS is a scripting language and will run alot slower than a application written with a real (compiled) language behind it.

If your application relies on functionality which is not provided by VBS-macros and you have to access the same hardware channel twice by two seperate applications then yes, PCAN-Developer 4 is the right solution.

Best Regards

Marvin