PCANBasic_enu Help file blank

This forum covers issues concerning multiple software products.
BillN

PCANBasic_enu Help file blank

Post by BillN » Fri 7. Aug 2020, 22:05

What do I need to do to get the PCANBasic_enu Help file working properly? It comes up blank.
Attachments
Peak Help File.jpg
Peak Help File.jpg (100.41 KiB) Viewed 1247 times

U.Wilhelm
Sales & Support
Sales & Support

Re: PCANBasic_enu Help file blank

Post by U.Wilhelm » Sat 8. Aug 2020, 19:03

Hello please read this post LINK
--------------------------------
PEAK-System Technik
Technical Support Team
support@peak-system.com
-------------------------------

BillN

Post by BillN » Tue 11. Aug 2020, 17:28

I addressed the recommendations in the link that you provided with no change. The help file is still blank.
Here are the recommendations and my responses on how I addressed each one.

Due security reasons sometimes it is not possible to display the content of the help files (file extension *.CHM ) correctly. In this case please try one of the following solutions.
-> Normaly it´s not possible to view a CHM file from a network drive. Please copy the CHM file to a local drive and try it again. If the CHM file is located on your local drive and you can´t open it than check & try the following steps:
Me: As can be seen from the first attachment the file is not located on a network drive.

-> Your CHM files maybe stored in the folder with a '#' character in the path (for example: C:\PCAN-Basic\C#\'). The hash character signifies an anchor in HTML so the CHM viewer fails to resolve the path properly and to retrieve the content. Please remove the '#' character from the directory name and please also avoid using '?', '&', and '+' characters in directory names.
Me: Same answer as the above response there is no # character in the name.

-> The Microsoft operating system may block access to CHM files to protect your system security. Please run the Windows Explorer, right-click on the CHM file, and select "Properties" from the popup menu. Click on the "Unblock" button below the "Advanced" button on the general page. Click "Apply" to show the content. Once the CHM file has been unblocked, the "Unblock" button disappears.
Me: Apparently the CHM file wasn't blocked from the beginning there wasn't an Unblock button to click. See attached.

Please provide a solution.
Attachments
PCANBasic_enu chw.jpg
PCANBasic_enu chw.jpg (45.01 KiB) Viewed 1158 times

U.Wilhelm
Sales & Support
Sales & Support

Post by U.Wilhelm » Tue 11. Aug 2020, 22:25

Please run the Windows Explorer, right-click on the CHM file, and select "Properties" from the popup menu. Click on the "Unblock" button below the "Advanced" button on the general page. Click "Apply" to show the content. Once the CHM file has been unblocked, the "Unblock" button disappears.

You select the wrong file! Use the CHM file not the *.CHW file !
Attachments
F8D9FCCD-A93F-406C-BB6A-C75DAD44A08D.jpeg
F8D9FCCD-A93F-406C-BB6A-C75DAD44A08D.jpeg (43.82 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
--------------------------------
PEAK-System Technik
Technical Support Team
support@peak-system.com
-------------------------------

BillN

Post by BillN » Wed 12. Aug 2020, 04:30

I did. There is no Unblock option. It also says that when unblock is not needed there will be no unblock button.
See attached.
Attachments
PCANBasic_enu chw 2.jpg
PCANBasic_enu chw 2.jpg (140.33 KiB) Viewed 1145 times

M.Heidemann
Sales & Support
Sales & Support

Post by M.Heidemann » Wed 12. Aug 2020, 08:31

Hello,

Like my colleague Uwe said, this is the wrong file!

you want to right-click the CHM file for these settings, see this screenshot:
BASIC-help.PNG
BASIC-help.PNG (23.59 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
please report back to us, if this was able to solve your issue.

Best Regards

Marvin

BillN

Post by BillN » Wed 12. Aug 2020, 23:33

Guys PLEASE look hard at the attached screenshot...... I have NOT selected the wrong file................. My screenshot looks just like yours!

Please provide a fix!

BillN

Post by BillN » Wed 12. Aug 2020, 23:35

Please accept my apologies. I did not see the chm file verses the chw. It is working.

BillN

Post by BillN » Wed 12. Aug 2020, 23:37

Also............ One of you suggested changing the chw file......................... Look above......

K.Wagner
Software Development
Software Development

Post by K.Wagner » Thu 13. Aug 2020, 08:03

Hello,

I understand that sometimes one can make a mistake by reading. When you are looking for losing a problem it is always good to read possible solutions carefully and, more important, to understand the problem. The first answer from our team contained already the solution for your problem, as well as the next two of them.

Regarding your comment "Also............ One of you suggested changing the chw file......................... Look above......", I think you mean this here:
U.Wilhelm wrote:
Tue 11. Aug 2020, 22:25
You select the wrong file! Use the CHM file not the *.CHW file !
Well, this also correct. The *.CHW file is just the compiled index of the *.CHM file and this is generated by the help file itself, when it needs so.

To sum up, we are glad that we could fix your problem, but we will appreciate when, in the future, you don't try to make a storm from a drop of water, or to try to find the mistake in the people helping you. This can just ends in no getting support anymore from them. I hope you understand my point. Feel free to create another thread is you have any other problem. This is now closed!

Sincerely,
Best regards,
Keneth