PCAN-USB & PCAN-GPRS Link

This forum covers issues concerning multiple hardware products.
expor

PCAN-USB & PCAN-GPRS Link

Post by expor » Thu 3. Mar 2011, 10:54

Hello,

My setup is as followed:
PCAN-GPRS Link, using CAN2 port on supplied cableset
PCAN-USB

Since both have male connectors I made a female-female cable myself to put it in between. Since I keep getting stuff errors (not receiving data in both ways) I'm asuming termination resistors could be the issue. I can't find anywhere whether the PCAN-GPRS Link cableset is terminated (at either end). If this is not the case, do I only have to terminate my self-made cable? (I'm new to working with CAN and the exact location of termination resitors in my setup isn't clear to me)

Info (as asked from someone else in a different topic):
- PCAN_USB.sys -> 3.5.4.9547
- Baudrate 500k (which leads me to another problem, PCAN-GPRS Link header file defines '3C' as baudrate. On PCAN Nets config that results in 444kbit/s 77% SP, does this relate to clock speed?)
- Termination: none in my cable, can't find anything about the supplied PCAN-GPRS Link cable so don't know
- PCAN-USB light is flashing rapidly while transmitting dummy data, slowly when on hold

I hope this provides enough info my problem. Thanks in advance!

F.Hessemer

Re: PCAN-USB & PCAN-GPRS Link

Post by F.Hessemer » Thu 3. Mar 2011, 11:45

Hello expor,

all products from us are not terminated. So you have to terminate your cable or use a PCAN-Term (product page) on both ends. Without termination it is not possible to communicate over CAN.

Best regards

Fabian Hessemer
Development

expor

Post by expor » Thu 3. Mar 2011, 11:51

Thanks for the quick reply.

Does this mean I cannot use the automotive connector cable supplied with the PCAN-GPRS Link? In other words, is it necessary to terminate the cable at the automotive connector, or is it sufficient to terminate my self-made cable on both it's connectors. (one end directly connected to PCAN-USB, the other end connected to the supplied cable set)

F.Hessemer

Post by F.Hessemer » Thu 3. Mar 2011, 12:24

Hi,

it works when you terminate your cable. Just plug in a 120 Ohm resistor at both ends between CAN_H and CAN_L.

Best regards

Fabian Hessemer
Development