Double-Click Behaviour confusing

This is a forum dedicated to discuss suggestions about the functionality of any software product as well as the study of new interesting ideas to develop
icwiener

Double-Click Behaviour confusing

Post by icwiener » Mon 22. Jun 2020, 13:53

Hi,

in PCAN-View 4.2.5.569 a double click on some item in the Transmit list shows different behaviour depending on what column you click.

CAN-ID -> manual send once
Type -> NOP
Length -> manual send once
Data -> edit message
Cycle Time -> NOP
Count -> NOP
Trigger -> NOP
Comment -> NOP

This is surprising and confusing. The Send bit might even be dangerous, in case you want to double-click the data field and misclick on the Length field.

Cheers

M.Heidemann
Sales & Support
Sales & Support

Re: Double-Click Behaviour confusing

Post by M.Heidemann » Mon 22. Jun 2020, 14:07

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

This (Transmit on double-click) beheaviour is described in the PCAN-View Help.

We are open for suggestions, if there is an alternative that you would recommend, please
share it with us.

Best Regards

Marvin

icwiener

Post by icwiener » Mon 29. Jun 2020, 12:20

Hi,

thank you for your answer.

I would do it differently ... maybe have a button in the trigger column ... And also move the check mark from the Cycle Time column there. So then you would only send messages with that column, either by checking the check mark or by clicking a button ... and of course keyboard shortcuts. ... But then again, I am only one guy and would not want to dictate something like this. I posted this because I thought, the behaviour was erratic. But I took a look at the help pages and have a few other remarks just as a little proofreading service while I was looking at it anyway. :)

Here is the help text:
The messages that are currently selected in the Transmit list will be transmitted once, if you select the Send command from the Transmit menu, of if you press the [Space] key on the keyboard. You can also transmit a single message with a double-click on the respective message in the Message or DLC column.
First: "of if" -> "or if"

Then there are the Message and DLC columns listed but it also works on the CAN-ID field.

But those listed column names are also wrong (probably outdated). Message is Data now and DLC is Length.

Also in the section about Transmitting Messages Periodically the check mark in the Clycle Time column is not mentioned. The text tells you to open the dialog und set the message to Paused state.

Cheers

M.Heidemann
Sales & Support
Sales & Support

Post by M.Heidemann » Mon 29. Jun 2020, 13:03

Hi,

Thank you for your recommendations!

I will relay this information to our development team for consideration.

Also thank you for bringing those parts of the help-file to our attention.

Maybe this approach suits your workflow better:

You can trigger messages by hitting the space-bar (Transmit Panel).
You can switch between messages via the arrow keys,
the selected message (highlighted in blue) will be sent upon hitting space.

For further questions feel free to contact me again.

Best Regards

Marvin

icwiener

Post by icwiener » Mon 29. Jun 2020, 17:12

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

I know and use the arrow keys and space bar for sending messages. I only use the mouse and double-click to edit a message. Yes, the Enter key works as well but for some reason I did not get used to that yet.

My problem was that I accidentally sent a message when trying to edit it because I double-clicked a bit too far to the left and hit the Length field instead of the Data field.

That's why I got curious.

Cheers