Time stamp

CAN to LAN Gateway in DIN Rail Plastic Casing
KMPasiTPit

Time stamp

Post by KMPasiTPit » Fri 13. Sep 2019, 09:35

I have been receiving UDP packages containing CAN frames from PCAN Ethernet gateway DR (fw 2.8.1) and have been able to decode time stamp fields without any issues. My setup has two gateways. I can see that time stamps differ roughly half an hour and both have error when comparing to time on my Ubuntu 18.04 PC.
I have few questions:
1. How is the time maintained in the gateway? There probably is RTC but can it also use NTP to keep it synchronized?
2. If NTP is not used how long can the supply be off without losing the time?
3. Is there a way to set the time and data as it seems to be not correct?

S.Michaelsen
Hardware Development
Hardware Development

Re: Time stamp

Post by S.Michaelsen » Fri 13. Sep 2019, 09:50

Timestamps should only used relative to each other not as absolute value. At the moment there is no possibility to set absolute time on the device and at least newer modules will lose the time immediately when plugged off.

KMPasiTPit

Post by KMPasiTPit » Fri 13. Sep 2019, 11:43

Thanks for quick reply!

The devices (IPEH-004010) I have are at least couple of years old, serial numbers are 774 and 775. There must be some sort of back-up battery inside as decoded time stamp has correct year, month day etc. Has there been HW changes which removes the backup-battery?

But anyway I understand the nature of the time stamp, just wanted to know the details because obviously the time stamp has not been reset at power off.

S.Michaelsen
Hardware Development
Hardware Development

Post by S.Michaelsen » Fri 13. Sep 2019, 11:50

Yes, older modules had a backup battery inserted, newer ones don"t. If you simply remove them from our devices time should always start counting at 0 on startup AFAIR.