Using PCAN-UDS and PCAN-basic with one USB-Device?

A free API for the communication with control devices according to UDS (ISO 14229-1)
ChrisN

Using PCAN-UDS and PCAN-basic with one USB-Device?

Post by ChrisN » Mon 11. Nov 2019, 15:16

Hello together,

I'm extending an existing project, which uses the PCAN-Basic.dll in many places. The Programm also uses one PCAN USB IPEH-002022 Adapter. To add some new features, I would like to add the PCAN-UDS.dll, but keep the changes to the programm at a minimum. Is it possible to initialize both dll-files, while having only one USB Device? I'm able to run both seperatly, but if I try to initiallize them in parallel, I get the Error "already initiallized".

I'm looking forward for your answers :)
Chris

M.Heidemann
Sales & Support
Sales & Support

Re: Using PCAN-UDS and PCAN-basic with one USB-Device?

Post by M.Heidemann » Mon 11. Nov 2019, 15:43

Hello Chris,

Please take a look at the user manual for PCAN UDS-API:

http://www.peak-system.com/produktcd/Pd ... an_eng.pdf

Chapter 2.1 will explain the relationship between PCANBasic, PCAN ISO-TP and PCAN UDS.

The underlying API here is PCANBasic. If the channel is initialized in PCANBasic it also is initialized for PCAN ISO-TP and PCAN UDS and vice versa, so this beheaviour is to be expected.

You can use PCANBasic in a PCAN UDS project but you have to keep track of what each API is currently doing,
so that you do not end up searching for issues later on, for example if one of those API's is reading and the other API's are locked out because of that.

Best Regards
Marvin

ChrisN

Re: Using PCAN-UDS and PCAN-basic with one USB-Device?

Post by ChrisN » Tue 12. Nov 2019, 13:16

M.Heidemann wrote: You can use PCANBasic in a PCAN UDS project but you have to keep track of what each API is currently doing,
so that you do not end up searching for issues later on, for example if one of those API's is reading and the other API's are locked out because of that.
Thanks Marvin, that last part was new to me. But it makes sense.

Thank you :)