Sending custom frame

The free CAN Software API (Application Programming Interface) for Windows®
marcoccio

Sending custom frame

Post by marcoccio » Tue 2. Nov 2021, 13:52

Hi, sorry if this is not the right location for this question, please change it or let me know if it's not.

I'm relatively new to CAN bus and the company where I work has tasked me to develop a software using PcanBasic and the PCAN-USB Pro FD interface. This software has to send and receive a propietary CAN frame developed by another company. I have the specification of this custom frame and it is more of an extension to the CAN protocol since it follows all electrics and timing parameters of the CAN-FD specification. They added more flags, control fields and fixed the CRC field length of the frame.

After a lot of researching i have concluded that the standard PCAN Basic API and the linux CAN protocol stack only allows to send standard frames. Is there a way to implement a method that sends and receives this proprietary frame with the PCAN-USB Pro FD interface? Thank you.

M.Maidhof
Support
Support

Re: Sending custom frame

Post by M.Maidhof » Wed 3. Nov 2021, 09:31

Hi,

the CAN 2.0 and CAN FD protocol of our devices is fixed in the CAN Controller of those modules and cannot be changed. If you want to send a proprietary frame (non CAN conform) on the CAN bus, you have to do this with a microcontroller/FPGA and a transceiver module, which you have to program by your own. We don't offer a solution for that specific case.

regards

Michael