Talking to PCAN wireless gateway from Linux

This forum covers PCAN-Linux and Linux development issues concerning our products
arasbm

Talking to PCAN wireless gateway from Linux

Post by arasbm » Mon 29. May 2017, 20:10

We are considering trying the peak CAN wireless gateway: http://www.peak-system.com/PCAN-Wireles ... .html?&L=1
Is this device supported from Linux? I understand that it has its own operating system and creates a wifi node, and has a web interface for configuration which is excellent. But will I be able to talk to it from Linux? For example. would I be able to create a virtual CAN interface that points to this node on the network? Do you have any information about how I could setup the CAN interface of the wireless gateway on Linux?

G.Lang
Support
Support

Re: Talking to PCAN wireless gateway from Linux

Post by G.Lang » Tue 30. May 2017, 10:42

Hello,

please take a look inside the "PCAN-Gateways-Developer-Documentation" for an overview about the different operational modes and how it CAN be used, especially chapter 1.3 -> Communication between Gateway and PC via Sockets.

http://www.peak-system.com/produktcd/Pd ... on_eng.pdf

BTW: It makes no sense to write us an email and open a thread about the same theme...this will not speed up anything, this will only double our workload and a time gap of 30 minutes between writing an email to PEAK and opening a thread inside the forum about the same theme is... :roll:

best regards
Gunther

arasbm

Re: Talking to PCAN wireless gateway from Linux

Post by arasbm » Tue 30. May 2017, 19:06

Gunther, thank you for your quick and helpful response. I am sorry if I caused you more work by cross posting. I found this forum shortley after email and ironically I though by posting here it would help document the answer. In future I will ask my questions on the forum so that they are documented online and will not bother you via email. Thanks again!

ps: I found a C# sample app posted on another thread here which I will use as reference.