No CAN messages received

USB to CAN Interface
sadatgolz

No CAN messages received

Post by sadatgolz » Tue 30. Nov 2021, 16:55

Hello everyone,
I recently got an MK60 ATE ABS unit, which I want to install in my vehicle. I have successfully connected the ABS to the PCAN-USB interface and to my PC with the USB. When I open PCAN-view, I selected the right hardware and changed the bit rate to 500kbit/s. However I am not able to change clock frequency. Currently it is at 8MHz, but I need to adjust it to 16MHz, how can I do that? It does not give me the chance to change the value. Besides that, normally there should be messages received, when connecting the device. The bar at the button indicates successful connection, however, it says "Busheavy", therefore no messages send or received. Please help, what I am I doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Untitledd.png
Untitledd.png (158.21 KiB) Viewed 229 times
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (240.35 KiB) Viewed 229 times

M.Heidemann
Sales & Support
Sales & Support

Re: No CAN messages received

Post by M.Heidemann » Wed 1. Dec 2021, 08:51

Hello,

You can't change the clock frequency of the PCAN-USB, it will run at a fixed
8Mhz. You can run multiple CAN-nodes with varying frequencies, however the bitrate has to match. The most relevant variable in that case is the used sample-point by both CAN-Nodes.

Most likely the configurations used here are too far off from one another to work properly, hence the busheavy state.

My recommendation is as follows:

- figure out the exact bitrate-settings of your MK60 unit and note
the sample-point used.

- Get the PEAK-Bitrate-Calculation tool from the following link (check the download section):

https://www.peak-system.com/Bit-Rate-Ca ... 496.0.html

Run the Tool (no installation required) and select SJA-1000 Bit Rate (PCAN-USB uses a SJA-1000 CAN Controller).

In the next step, select your bitrate of 500kbit/s.

In the next step, select the sample point that is used by your MK60,
if the value is just a whole number, enter the wanted sample point in both the "from" and "to" field, if the value contains a fraction, enter a range from your fractional value to the next whole value. You will receive a BTR0/BTR1 value in the result, use this value to connect to your device:

Click the play button to "manage bitrates":
2021-12-01 08_48_06-Window.png
2021-12-01 08_48_06-Window.png (5.79 KiB) Viewed 222 times
Add your own custom bitrate name it and enter the BTR0/BTR1 value you have calculated.
2021-12-01 08_48_29-Window.png
2021-12-01 08_48_29-Window.png (26.52 KiB) Viewed 222 times
hit ok to save.

Afterwards you can select your custom bitrate to connect to the bus
in PCAN-View:
2021-12-01 08_49_12-Window.png
2021-12-01 08_49_12-Window.png (8.47 KiB) Viewed 222 times

Please report back to us if your were able to get a working connection established this way.

Best Regards

Marvin

sadatgolz

Post by sadatgolz » Tue 14. Dec 2021, 09:54

Hello Marvin

Thank you for the information. It was very helpful. I have followed the steps and able to get a connection now. The status is "OK" now instead of "Busheavy". However, I still do not receive messages. I have heard that PCAN-view can not transmit messages to be received by its self. My issue is, why do I not receive any messages at all, even though now there is a successful connection between the hardware and software. I have added one terminator resistor and also the PCAN- interface has an in build terminator resistor, which can be soldered to be activated. I did not activate it yet, so I am working with 1 terminator, do you think that could be the issue? That I actually need 2 terminators?
Well after connecting the ABS unit, which has a build in control unit with CAN_H & CAN_L. Thus, when connecting, there should be messages send to the PCAN-view, but it isn't.

M.Heidemann
Sales & Support
Sales & Support

Post by M.Heidemann » Tue 14. Dec 2021, 10:34

Hello,

as to your questions:
The status is "OK" now instead of "Busheavy". However, I still do not receive messages.
Well, this is a step forward, does the status remain "OK" when you transmit a message to the bus?
My issue is, why do I not receive any messages at all, even though now there is a successful connection between the hardware and software.
[...]
I have added one terminator resistor and also the PCAN- interface has an in build terminator resistor, which can be soldered to be activated. I did not activate it yet, so I am working with 1 terminator, do you think that could be the issue? That I actually need 2 terminators?
A high-speed CAN-Bus should be terminated with 120 Ohms on both bus ends, ~60 Ohms should be measured between CAN-High and CAN-Low in the unpowered state. Please do not use the internal termination of the PCAN-USB if not absolutely necessary,
a termination adaptor such as these are much more flexible and less prone to damage the hardware:

https://www.peak-system.com/PCAN-Term.270.0.html

This also prevents overtermination with subsequent uses.
Well after connecting the ABS unit, which has a build in control unit with CAN_H & CAN_L. Thus, when connecting, there should be messages send to the PCAN-view, but it isn't.
Terminate your CAN-Bus properly and try again, see if that resolves it.

Best Regards

Marvin