Product Comparisons PEAKCanUSB and Pro

This forum covers issues concerning multiple hardware products.
KieuPhong

Product Comparisons PEAKCanUSB and Pro

Post by KieuPhong » Mon 19. Aug 2019, 15:48

I have been experimenting with PEAKCAN-USB and PCANBasic to make a data capture product and have managed to get reasonable results. I have proved the concept and am considering what limitations there might be with different hardware such as PEAKCAN-USB and the Pro version. The nodes will only be standard CAN devices transmitting standard frames, FD is not important.

Some questions I can't seem to find definitive answers to are:
1. What is the size of the receive buffer in the different software packages?
ie. I want to estimate how quick it will fill up and how often I should read it.
2. Is PCANBasic capable of running two or more PEAKCAN-USB devices simultaneously?
Or do I need to use the RP1210 API.
3. What are the advantages of using the RP1210 API?

U.Wilhelm
Sales & Support
Sales & Support

Re: Product Comparisons PEAKCanUSB and Pro

Post by U.Wilhelm » Tue 20. Aug 2019, 08:22

Some questions I can't seem to find definitive answers to are:
1. What is the size of the receive buffer in the different software packages?
ie. I want to estimate how quick it will fill up and how often I should read it.
2. Is PCANBasic capable of running two or more PEAKCAN-USB devices simultaneously?
Or do I need to use the RP1210 API.
3. What are the advantages of using the RP1210 API?
  • 1. The Driver have a 32.000 CAN Frames Message Buffer for each CAN Channel for incomming and for outgoing CAN Frames. You MUST read when you get an Event/Poll the queue until the queue is empty (see samples/Docu)!
  • 2. Yes, up to 16 CAN Channels per Device Type (USB or PCI) It does not matter if single USB Device or 2 Channel USB Device or PCIe Device. See PCAN-Basic Documentation - there you found also most of your answers...
  • 3. RP1210 A/C API is a standarized and hardware independend API, that also support the High Layer J1939 Protocoll. See RP1210 Infos on the WEB
--------------------------------
PEAK-System Technik
Technical Support Team
support@peak-system.com
-------------------------------